Tuesday, May 24, 2011

On Shooting Fashion Shows...

Everybody has a waterloo... even Napoleon, Achilles and Custer.

In photography, mine is fashion photography. I suck more at doing fashion shoots than I do at landscapes. In landscape photography, its about waiting for that right time to shoot and composition. In fashion, its knowing what looks good and deciding on what angles would work best. And for a guy who doesn't care about fashion its hard to decide on what looks good. There are a lot of things to consider like the lighting, the model, the dress, the runway and a whole lot of other stuff. Frankly, I do not really care much about rules but when shooting fashion shows, I find it difficult working with the same angles and lines over and over again. I tend to stray into my traditional street style shots; I work best with weird angles. Perhaps I need to watch America's Next Top Model a little more to get a better grasp of how to shoot.

Anyhow, I got lucky last weekend and got to shoot a fashion show. It was fun but at the same time hard work. I don't shoot fashion shows that often, and when I do, I tend to goof off more than anything. But, since I'm covering a live, I do look for good output. Good thing I had some lucky and got the hang of shooting runway models. I just had to observe their styles for a little bit before I could play around with my composition. Here are some of my takes, the rest got uploaded to facebook.

Alaiza Flor
flickr3

Au

Keyt
flickr2

I do not know her name yet... but I'm working on it... :D
flickr4

At the end of the day, I had fun because it wasn't just a fashion show but a concert as well. And I met some really interesting people during and after the show. Thats one thing I enjoy about shooting people, you get to meet new ones every now and then.

PS: special thanks to Alaiza Flor Malinao for the invite, Lalai for getting me in and for the models.

No comments:

Post a Comment