Tuesday, May 3, 2011

On the Edge of the Frame and Portrait #11

I've been thinking lately about having a signature style for my portraits. It took me hours to scan my archives and look for that common thing. It was hard since I was looking for something original.

After some time, I finally admitted to something to myself: my shot has something to do with having my subject being at the edge of the frame.

It’s hardly original I know. And I am not making it my own (this is in reference to something Xander Angeles once said in a workshop). But it’s my preferred shot probably because I hate having the AF point at the center. It’s not about the rule of thirds or whatever; I hate rules. It's just a preference to have my AF point somewhere other than the center; my camera allows me to place it in 11 different points on my viewfinder. I find it easier to "compose" shots when I am not placing my subject at the center.

And it probably has something to do with my preferred lens too since I usually shoot with the 35mm these days. If I placed my AF point at the center and focused on the eyes, I would either be too far to capture the eye details or I'd cut some part of the face because I'm too near.

In my recent shoot with Sofia and the Photobombers, I used the style and was trying to refine it. I wanted to play around with having the subject not in the center but at the extreme edges then capturing a bit of the landscape in the process. I realized that my camera doesn't have enough AF points for me to compose properly.

Here are two of my shots from the set.

sofia 1 (1 of 1)

sofia 2 (1 of 1)

It’s a good thing that Sofia was very game in modeling for the group. I had a lot of time to practice the output I wanted. And it was the first time I ran out of memory cards for a single model; normally I consume about two-thirds of a 4GB card or around 200 shots per model. I stopped shooting only after I consumed two cards. I promise to post more of her shoot soon.

And of course, I had to add one for my project since it’s my first time to shoot with Sofia.

Portrait #11: Sofia
sofia 3 (1 of 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment